Tuesday, March 18, 2014

HELP! Help My Creative Process

POST THE NAME OF A SONG

This March, I asked some pals to give me a song, and I'd write a short story. I'm not really a strong or frequent short story writer, so any and all shorts I write makes it feel a little like a victory.

Being part of FM Writers "Great Rejection Slip Contest" has really goaded me into writing more shorts, if anything to get more of my work out there in the traditional publishing world. My fellow Rejection Slip Contest players have also inspired me to aim high as far as the publishing world, so I'm getting over many of my self-imposed restrictions that my writing isn't ready for the big time. My motto now is to submit and let them decide, rather than to decide for them by never sending it in.

However, because my creative process is a bit wonky, in that pretty much every single thing I write has come about because of a song I was into at the time, I'm going to ask for help.

My music tastes run the gamut. A playlist of mine can go from bluegrass to opera, from jazz funk to old school Delta blues, and 80's metal hair bands all sorts of indie weirdo folk fusion stuff.

So, my puppies...

Help my creative process! So's I can haz more short stories to send to publications.

POST THE NAME OF A SONG that you've recently discovered and are totally into. If you're extra cool, you can give me YouTube linky-love, but I will hunt any strange song down with all of my Google-Fu skills if you just give me the title.

So far others have suggested:

"Mad World" the cover by Gary Jules (story done)
"Cigarettes and Coffee" by Otis Redding
"Star Trek + NIN Closer Mashup" by er, Gene Roddenberry and Trent Reznor

Edited to add suggestions:
"We Are the Dead" by David Bowie (working on this one)
"Don't You (Forget About Me)" cover by KT Tunstall.

So, give me a shout out my pepperpots.








2 comments:

  1. KT Tunstall's cover of Simple Minds' "Don't You Forget About Me".

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgluRtnpJ_w

    Or you could find the original, but this one has been stuck in my head, so I'm passing it on to you :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love finding unique covers of cool songs! My "Cover Tunes" playlist has around 50 songs.

      Adding it to the list...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis